- Population 693,972 (2017).
- Area Code 202.
- Tax: 14.5% Hotel Tax; 6% Sales Tax.
- Time Zone: EST - Eastern Standard Time: November – March; EDT - Eastern Daylight Time: March - October.
- Credit Cards are widely accepted throughout the city. ATM machines are located in many downtown major department stores, monument sites, hotels, and the convention center.
- Hotel Personnel/Porterage: $2.00-$3.00 per parcel or bag of luggage.
- Restaurants: 18%-20% of the total bill is a good rule of thumb for tipping.
- Hotel Valet: $2.00-$3.00 to attendant.
- Housekeeping Services: $3.00 per day.
- Concierge Services: $5.00+.
- Taxi: 15% of total.
- The DC Circulator connects the Washington Convention Center to Union Station to Georgetown National Mall. Operates from 7:00 a.m. – 9:00 p.m. on weekdays and 7:00 a.m. – 2:00 a.m. on weekends. One-way fare is $1.00.
- DC Metro System serves the District of Columbia and surrounding areas.
- Taxis run regularly throughout downtown. From Reagan National Airport to downtown, taxi fares are approximately $25.00. From Dulles National Airport, taxi fares are approximately $65.00. From Baltimore Washington International Airport, taxi fares are approximately $79.00.
- Car Rentals ares available at Reagan National Airport, Dulles National Airport, and Baltimore Washington International Airport.
For restaurant reservations and other information, check out OpenTable.
As a city with tremendous history as a worldwide capital, and also a place where news and historic events take place nearly every day, Washington, DC is a cultural as well as a governmental center.
- John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts, home of the National Symphony Orchestra and the Washington Opera
- U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum
- Smithsonian American Art Museum
- Freer Gallery of Contemporary Art
- Shakespeare Theater Company
- U.S. Capitol building tours are given daily and visitors can receive admittance cards from their elected representatives to visit the House or Senate chambers.
- National Museum of Women in the Arts
- National Gallery of Art
- Smithsonian Museums
- Martin Luther King, Jr. National Memorial
- National Museum of the American Indian
- International Spy Museum
- Library of Congress
- Union Station
Washington DC Attractions
- The White House
- The U.S. Capitol Congress In Session
- The Washington Monument
- Smithsonian's National Zoo
- National Gallery of Art
Professional Sport Teams
- Washington Football Team
- Washington Nationals Baseball
- Washington Wizards Men's Basketball
- Washington Mystics Women's Basketball
- Washington Capitals Hockey