- Population (2019): 486,404.
- Area Code: 816.
- Tax: 17.10% Hotel Tax on Hotel Rooms, 8.6% Sales Tax on purchases.
- Time Zone: Central Standard Time CST – November to March. Central Daylight CDT – April to November.
- Credit Cards and Charge Cards are widely accepted. ATM machines can be found in many major downtown department stores, hotels, and the Convention Center.
- Summers are hot and humid. Winters are cold with an average snowfall of 13.4 inches.
- Restaurants: 15%-20% of the total bill is a good general rule of thumb.
- Hotel Personnel/Porterage: $1.00 - $2.00 per piece of luggage or parcel.
- Valet Parking: $2.00-$3.00 to attendant.
- Housekeeping Services: $2.00 - $3.00 /day.
- Taxi/Towncar: 15% of total.
- Concierge Services: $5.00 +.
AirportKansas City International Airport (MCI) was built by the City of Kansas City, Missouri and opened in 1972. Its low congestion and small number of flight delays have long established it as one of the most appealing commercial airports in the world. Located 25 minutes northwest of downtown, its three C-shaped terminals offer aircraft loading around the perimeters and passenger parking at the center. Distance from the aircraft to the curb is less than 75 feet.
Public TransitThe two-mile, north-south KC Downtown Streetcar starter line runs from River Market to the historic Union Station, traveling mostly along Main Street. Areas serviced include the Central Business/Convention District, the Power & Light District and Crown Center—not to mention the numerous business, restaurants, art galleries and residences along the way. Learn more.
- FREE to ride
- 16 stops -- with 13 shelters and digital kiosks
- Bicycles, wheelchairs and strollers welcome with boarding and disembarking from middle car
- Service animals and dogs in small carriers welcome